Thursday, December 3, 2009

A week of Thanksgiving celebrations...

Well, another month snuck past us - if I keep up this "Blogger Withdrawl", it'll be 2010 before I post again!  It's less than a month away, I honestly think as we get older, time goes by faster.  I remember being a little kid and the summer seemed to last forever, and it took an eternity for Christmas to get here...now it seems like we blink our eyes and the swimming pools have been put away for the Christmas trees!

We had THREE great Thanksgivings this year...one with my family at the "Johnson Home" in Stafford the weekend before Thanksgiving, one here with the four of us and my Mom on Thanksgiving Day, and one the Saturday after Thanksgiving with Ben's family in Amelia.  It certainly stretched the holiday out...and our pants!  After two turkeys, ham, heaps of potatoes, green beans and stuffing, and so many slices of dessert that we lost count - we can officially say that the leftovers are over!

The Johnson's tradition is that each of us bring something for dinner - Sean and Dad provided munchies, a delicious SMOKED turkey, and stufffing with fresh spinach and artichoke.  Mom brought a potato casserole and cranberry salad, I had sweet potatoes and green beans and Liz and Mary bring their fabulous pies -- chocolate, coconut and pumpkin.  Thank you for hosting, Dad -- you don't know how special it is to me when we're all back in our old house -- the house where I spent ALL but three years of my life...

Here at home, I kept it small with a yummy sweet ham, green beans, sweet potatoes, rolls and dessert...

And at The Joneses - meatballs, devilled eggs, veggies, shrimp, cookies, cakes and brownies...and thats all before dinner!  A fried turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes & gravy, rolls, applesauce, along with pumpkin and pecan pies.  Whew...it was great, I'm sure I forgot something in there!  Thank you for cooking a wonderful dinner, Mom - we all had such a great day!  It was so fun to be with everyone that day!

Now looking ahead -- the decorations are up, the girl's gifts are complete (not wrapped yet, but waiting), a little shopping to do for family and a load of Christmas celebrations to enjoy this season.  We're really looking forward to more time spent with our families! 











No comments: