Thursday, February 5, 2009

If it's not one thing -

Ugh, it's been a rough few weeks around here! Two Sundays ago, I got Madelyn up for the day and realized she had chewed her pacifier! Seriously, chewed a hole in the end of it! So...we were planning to get rid of this thing soon anyway, this was the perfect time! She only takes it at naps and bedtime, so we were hoping it would be easy.

We went through the whole ritual, having her throw it in the trash - and she says "I broke it, yay, no more paci". We even cut off her baby doll's paci and she threw it away as well. That day, she napped fine - that night - oh what a different story. She screamed "mama" for at least 2 hours. It was aweful, I went in reluctantly 2 times -- it didn't do any good. So since then, it's a random thing - some nights, she's right to sleep no problems, others she screams for an hour. And she wakes up in the morning sreaming "mama" now! She NEVER did this! It was always a pleasant thing to wake up to her singing her ABC's or naming all her extended family members and calling out to Kona. It's not so pleasant anymore. We're hoping this is just another phase and she'll be back to her normal sleeping habits soon.


Sleeping sweetly with her "sheepy sheepy" from Amanda in Texas :)

We contemplated whether or not to buy a new crib for the new baby...OR do we transition Madelyn into a big bed and pass her crib on to her little sister. Most of my friends have had success with their little ones getting into a big bed, all of a sudden I'm paranoid of change! I've never been like this - I think I'm so worried about throwing TOO many changes at her all at once. Any ideas or pointers from anyone - I'll take 'em!!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Keep consistent with the passy. She'll get it. If only I could get my boys to throw their thumbs away!!! As for the crib, I can only tell you what we did...we didn't switch the boys until we had to because they were climbing out of the crib. We didn't bother with a toddler bed...just a mattress on the floor until you know she won't fall out of a regular bed.We did the supernanny thing....just keep putting them back in the bed when they get out. It's slightly exhausting sometimes, but she's used to going to bed on her own anyway, so she'll get the hang of it-just the way she learned to go to sleep on her own almost 2 years ago. Just stick with it!!! That's my best advice. I have babywise for toddlers (I think it's called Toddlerwise), and you're more than welcome to it. It helped me with setting a good schedule for an "older" baby. I know you'll do great and you won't mind the hard work once you can put her in bed, close her door, and know that she'll stay put(most of the time...keep in mind she's still a toddler). I remember panicing(sp?) just like you before Rudy was born. Whatever you decide to do, everything will fall into place after a little while and you will all be great. Sorry for such a long message...just want to let you know that I'm here to help...anytime!!! Love you!!!!

Amanda said...

Awww....sweet baby and her sheepy sheepy. When I saw those pictures I teared up....she's such a sweet baby girl.
Oh man...I remember when we moved Aidan out of the crib, it was such a struggle, but so worth it. She would get up constantly at first, but after about a week she was back to normal. Like Kim said below, you just have to be consistent and remember, it's harder on you than it is on her. If Aidan was really upset, I would just sit on the floor away from her bed in her room and not make eye contact....this worked great, because she would lie down and just stare at me, which meant she was being still and then, of course, she would fall asleep. Just remember, even though it can be stressful to hear her cry, you are teaching her to console herself and calm herself down, which is something that will stay with her for the rest of her life. If you do decide to move her out of the crib, you still have time to transition her and get her into a nice routine before the baby comes. Play up the "big girl" talk and she will be so proud of herself. Good luck and enjoy the moment! Love you guys!