Wednesday, August 27, 2008

LOVED Avon

Our week at the beach went by way to fast. Seems like just as we were settled and relaxed, we packed up to head home. It was nice to get home though...it has taken a few days to adjust back to our routine. We stayed in Avon this year on Hatteras Island, about 50 miles south of Nags Head...only about 5 mintues from the Hatteras Lighthouse. Last time I was there, they hadn't moved the lighthouse yet...so it was cool to see it in it's new location away from the surf. It's amazing that they were able to "lift" it up and move it so far.





Avon is also just south of Rodanthe...which is the setting of Nicholas Sparks' book - "Nights in Rodanthe". It has been made into a movie and is coming out in Sept. I can't wait for that! The house is there, its huge and right on the water.


The weather coudn't have been better, I think the highest it got was 86 or so. The beginning of the week the water was cool and pretty calm. By the end of the week it was much warmer but really rough - the waves were at least 6' high. The guys had fun body surfing though.





My Mom and I enjoy our time together just laying by the water's edge, watching the birds and dolphins. It's so peaceful. Ben doesn't understand how we can just lay there and fall asleep, he gets restless if he's not doing something.


Madelyn needed a little coaxing to enjoy herself! She liked sitting in the sand and digging her toes in it, but didn't care so much for the water. When it was warmer, we finally kept her in and she liked it. I think more than anything she liked to lick her salty hands!





And KONA...oh my - I've never seen this dog more at peace in my life! I'm so glad we took him, he deserved a break too. He swam and chased the birds and CRABS! He was fun to watch.





We're looking forward to next year...then we'll have a 2 year old AND a newborn...whoa! That'll be fun!


No comments: